Sunday, November 1, 2009

RESEARCH: DEPRESSION CAN AFFECT CANCER SURVIVAL

PATIENTS WHO REPORT MORE DEPRESSIVE
SYMPTOMS HAVE INCREASED RISK OF DEATH
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Depression can affect the likelihood of surviving cancer, but there is no clear association yet with how quickly the cancer progresses, according to a report published recently. Death rates are nearly 40 percent higher for cancer patients diagnosed with major or minor depression, according to University of British Columbia researchers who surveyed more than two dozen international clinical studies. The report was published in the online edition of the American Cancer Society's journal Cancer.

"We found an increased risk of death in patients who report more depressive symptoms than others, and also in patients who have been diagnosed with a depressive disorder compared to patients who have not," Jillian Satin, the report's lead researcher said. Eighty-five percent of cancer patients believe their mental state affects how quickly the disease progresses, but the Canadian researchers said that belief is not actually supported by the few studies that looked at it. The researchers admitted they were surprised by the lack of clear link between depression and cancer progression, and cautioned that may be because so few clinical studies have been done on the subject.

WHAT DO THE VEDIC TEACHINGS TELL US?
In his prayers offered to Lord Krishna, Lord Brahmā says: (Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 10.14.36)
tāvad rāgādayah stenās - This attachment to the physical body and the pursuit of worldly pleasures detracts the mind from its true function of devotion to the Name and provokes us to commit offences very often.
tāvat kārā-griham griham - I have always attachment to the material objects. And these material objects are main cause of depression and they will take me to hell. The building or the house where I reside is a prison.
tavan moho 'nghri-nigado / yavat krsna na te janah - And I have got attachment, forgetfulness, because for my boy, my house, my friend, my wife, my children I always have the attachment. That is only the chain which controls my leg, as a prisoner's legs are controlled by chain. They are locked up. Chain is controlling their hands. So all the attachment for the children and the wealth is only to take me to hell. Hell. I am in the hell. I am in the prison.

Srila Bhakti Vaibhava Puri Maharaj:
"Brahma Vimohana Lila"
Lecture given in Ljubljana, Slovenia 25.6.1999.-

No comments: